the Sequoias is located in the heart of the California's
central valley. COS has over 10,000 students and offers a
complete Associate Degree, Transfer and Vocational Education
Program. For further information about COS go to
College of the Sequoias
Agriculture Division is a leader among
Community Colleges in Agriculture Education. Outstanding
programs in Equine Science, Ag Technology & Welding, Animal
Science, Dairy Production and Processing, Horticulture and Plant
Science and Veterinarian Technician training gives COS the most
comprehensive program in the San Joaquin Valley.
A 500 acre school farm laboratory,
the 1000 cow California Dairy Technology Center, California
Dairy Products Training Institute, John Deere Pro-Tech Program,
Equestrian Center, state-of-the-art welding shop, beef, sheep
and swine herds gives COS Agriculture Students the hands-on
education that they need to be successful.
Visit the COS AG website
The College of
the Sequoias District is located in the middle of
this state's prized agriculture land. California
produces more than 1,250 on 76,000 farms covering 30
million acres, and Tulare County is ranked as the
second highest agriculture producing county.
Neighboring Fresno and Kern Counties are ranked
numbers one and three. Top commodities are milk and
cream, grapes, cattle and calves, nursery products
Division offers a variety of ag-related vocational
certificates. Students wishing to study large
livestock select from Dairy Science, Horse
Production, and Animal Science certificates. Those
desiring either farming of agribusiness select from
the Agriculture Mechanics/Engineering Tech,
Agriculture Management and/ or Plant Science
certificate/programs prepare students for one of the
greatest challenges to mankind to produce enough
food and fiber for future generations and to
maintain our standard of living. Students entering
the nursery/landscape or floral industries select
the Landscape Design/Planning, Landscape Management,
Nursery Management, Floral Technology or the
Ornamental Horticulture Certificates. Ornamental
Horticulture continues to be one of the fast growing
industries. High growth areas are golf course
management, landscape maintenance services,
irrigation and sales.
After completing one of the agriculture science
programs, students transfer easily to four-year Ag
schools or are employed in the field as a result of
courses and/or certificates completed.
For more information, contact the Agriculture
Science Division office located on the 160-acre
Agriculture Science Center at 2245 South Linwood,
Visalia, CA 93277. Telephone 559-730-3916.
Main CAMPUS History
College of the
Sequoias (COS) is a California community college
located on the eastern edge of the San Joaquin
Valley midway between San Francisco and Los Angeles.
The college, like most of the early community
colleges in the state, developed out of the local
public school. In 1926 the Visalia Unified School
District established "Visalia Junior College" as a
department in the high school. In 1939 it built the
current college campus, and in 1949 it nurtured the
formation of an independent College of the Sequoias
Community College District.
From its opening in the fall of 1926 until World War
II the district's sole mission was to provide
inexpensive, lower-division college education to
local high school graduates who intended to transfer
to a traditional four-year college. This "transfer"
mission shaped the college during these years in
that it provided the theoretical and political basis
for its founding, defined its initial curriculum and
activities, led to the construction of its campus,
and met the needs of the overwhelming majority of
After the onset of the great depression in the 1930s
the college embraced a second mission that shaped
its development through the 50s. The depression
drove many unemployed young people to enroll in
classes who were either not prepared for, or not
necessarily interested in, transfer education.
Confronting this fact, and recognizing that larger
enrollments generated greater state financial
support, school officials began to develop
appropriate courses for these "terminal" students.
By the late 40s they had expanded the vocational
curriculum, developed some "general education"
courses, set up a career guidance and counseling
office, and established a job placement service.
This vocational emphasis helped increase enrollment
and community support for the college and ushered it
into a period of stable growth that lasted into the
During the 1960s and 70s a new mission known as
"community education" came to shape COS's
development and transformed the institution, quite
literally, from a "junior" to a "community" college.
This mission called on the college to be a "full
service" institution that met not only the
community's adult educational needs, but also
provided it with vocational and recreational
activities. Educators generally understood this
mission to include adult education, continuing
education, community services, and community-based
education. In essence, this mission sought to make
COS the region's adult educational, cultural and
By the 1980s, however, funding constraints and state
mandated reforms led the college to reevaluate this
broad community--education mission. During the 1990s
the College reaffirmed transfer and vocational
education as primary missions and relegated
community education as a secondary position.